Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ - Guam Build-up Employment

Q: What new employment opportunities will be associated with the construction of new military facilities in Guam?

A: The U.S. military relocation of forces to Guam in 2012 may generate opportunities for contractors and workers in the Pacific Islands region. Construction on military facilities and new infrastructure from late 2010 until the end of 2014 will require thousands of workers, some of whom may be recruited from foreign countries if there are no qualified U.S. workers available (either in Guam or elsewhere in the United States).

Q: Whom should I contact if I am a Pacific Islander seeking employment?

A: Hiring decisions are commercially driven and managed by the contracting companies. Here is a list of contractors who have been awarded government contracts, many of whom may be hiring H-2B visa workers.

Residents of Guam and other U.S citizens will have priority in employment opportunities. Additionally, individuals from the Freely Associated States (FAS) do not need visas to work in Guam. Please note that FAS citizens can also travel to Guam without the need to obtain a nonimmigrant visa, and are eligible to receive job assistance and job training through the Guam Department of Labor.

Q: Whom should I contact if I am a Company interested in the contract process?

A: For those seeking contracting opportunities, please visit Federal Business Opportunities for contract information and opportunities. More information on the contracting process can be found at the Guam Industry Forum.

To request H-2B visas for foreign workers, companies and contractors apply directly to the Guam Department of Labor for temporary labor certification and then to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for approval of the H-2B petition. Embassies accredited to the country selected by the contractor will interview H-2B applicants in connection with an H-2B petition that has been approved by USCIS and will issue visas to eligible individuals.

Contractors may obtain workers from any country, but must justify to the Department of Homeland Security the hire of workers who are not from H-2B visa approved eligible countries. See: A list of the current H-2B eligible countries.

Please see the Guam Department of Labor for more information regarding the procedure for how a prospective employer seeking to hire H-2B workers on Guam may apply for a temporary labor certification.